Webinar: Complying with the FMLA and ADA When Your Employee Suffers from a Mental Health Condition
December 13, 2017 - December 13, 2017
Date: Wednesday, December 13, 2017
Time: 12:00 - 1:15 p.m. CST
Faculty: Franczek Radelet Attorney Jeff Nowak and Special Guest Matt Morris, Vice President at ComPsych
Employers are increasingly managing employees who suffer from mental health conditions such as depression, stress, and panic attacks. Studies show that mental health conditions are leading to increased use of FMLA leave. Administering FMLA leave and ADA accommodations in these situations can be particularly frustrating. Unlike an easy-to-notice need for maternity leave or even a knee replacement, mental health conditions often are silent and manifest themselves on a moment's notice. As a result, these situations lend themselves to FMLA abuse and increase the risk of FMLA and ADA violations if they are not handled properly.
In this free, interactive webinar, Jeff and Matt will cover a series of difficult FMLA and ADA scenarios involving mental health conditions and offer practical strategies to address them, all in an effort to increase your FMLA and ADA compliance. We will cover topics such as:
• At what point has an employee put you on notice of the need for FMLA leave because of a mental health condition?
• Best practices for employers when an employee fails to return medical certification or turns it in late - and it may be due to their mental health condition
• What ADA considerations must you keep in mind when considering additional leave or other accommodations for a mental health condition?
• Does the ADA provide a "Get out of Jail Free" card when an employee's mental health condition affects work performance?
• What, if anything, should HR/legal tell the employee's managers about the employee's medical condition?
This session will be practical and fun, and back by popular demand, Jeff already has his FMLA-themed song picked out to serenade our guests!
Click here to register for this complimentary webinar. We look forward to your participation. In the meantime, please email Jeff at email@example.com with any questions that you would like us to address.
This program has been submitted to the HR Certification Institute and SHRM for review and credit. Illinois MCLE credit also will be available to attorneys attending the program. For attorneys in states other than Illinois, we will provide proof of attendance, but CLE credit will be governed by your particular state's rules.
DOL Seeks Immediate Comments On Proposed Change To Tip Pooling Regulation: https://t.co/YyzbnvkEga
December's Question of the Month: What is your area’s definition of “independent contractor”? https://t.co/74IuLlO2SC
The Holidays Are Upon Us: Can an Employer Ask Employees Who Request Time Off or Another Accommodation for Religio… https://t.co/RfznzMT6if